Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In a Nutshell - 26: Pearls of Wisdom and Humor

  • In our family, our ideas about food are completely integrated with our politics and our spirituality. (Barbara Kingsolver)
  • There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after. (J. R. R. Tolkein)
  • Pregnancy is a natural time to change your life for the better, and motherhood keeps the changes coming. (Barbara Kingsolver)
  • A baby in the womb first hears its mother's song. She is nourished by the cord between them, but she is also soothed and carried by the song she is surrounded by as she floats and grows. (Saralee Sky)
  • It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. (J. R. R. Tolkein)
  • Within your heart, keep one still, secret spot where dreams may go. (Louise Driscoll)
  • I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. (J. R. R. Tolkein)
  • When someone has taken up residence in your belly, you’re forced to slow down and think beyond yourself. First, of your own baby. Then someone else’s. (Barbara Kingsolver)
  • The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can, pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. (J. R. R. Tolkein)
  • A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. (Chinese Proverb). Note: This is the second issue in a row in which I have placed this quote. It inspired my ‘wisewords’ article, so I believe it bears repeating.

No comments: