Wednesday, March 10, 2010

In a Nutshell - 9: Pearls of Parenting Wisdom and Humor

  • From Kwan Yin of China to Aido Hwedo of Africa; from Isis of Egypt to Gaia of Greece and Spider Woman of the Hopi, the creator of the world and of people is female. Though the name changes from culture to culture, she is still the great mother, the all-giver, bringing forth life and nourishing it from her body. (Diane Stein)
  • Somehow I had gotten it in my head that, as a parent, my job was to make demands. I learned, however, that I could make all the demands in the world but still couldn’t make the children do anything. (Marshall B. Rosenberg)
  • A three-year-old’s voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant. (email)
  • I love sharing a bed. I always have. (Jennifer E. Moore)
  • Some of us are becoming the men we wanted to marry. (Gloria Steinem)
  • Appreciate everything and everyone. Look upon every experience you’ve ever had, and everyone who’s ever played a role in your life, as having been sent to you for your benefit. In this universe, which was created by a divine, organizing intelligence, there are simply no accidents. (Wayne Dyer)
  • You probably do not want to know what that odor is. (email)
  • Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. (John Wilmot)
  • When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouths. (Billy, age 4)

No comments: