Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The way children learn a language.

My three year old grandson wanted to surprise me with something he was making out of blocks. He didn't want me to look at his creation until it was done, so he said to me,"Don't see at it."

I started thinking about his sentence construct. We don't usually "see at" something, we "look at" something. But was his sentence/grammar wrong? I guess so, but he was putting together two different ideas: he didn't want me to see what he was doing and he must have heard the term "look at" somewhere. He combined the two.

I chose not to correct him, but simply covered my eyes until he told me I could look - or see. I have learned that just by talking correctly to him he will learn by my example, rather than by constantly correcting him.

I read somewhere that children learn and store language in a different part of their brains when they are very young than when they are older. This explains why it is so hard to learn a new language as we grow. It is fun to watch him learn how to talk.

Read articles by Saralee Sky on her web site: www.babynut.com.