Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Children's Art - More Than It Seems

Recently I had a birthday. And a big birthday party! Two of my grandchildren were there, as well as other family and friends.

It was a rainy day, but in the evening, the sun shot through the clouds and a beautiful double rainbow appeared. I ran to get Jordan, my almost four year old grandson. I held him in my arms on the back deck while we looked at the arc of the rainbows.

This experience must have made a deep impression on Jordan. A few weeks later, he started drawing recognizable shapes. He drew a large headed person in the middle of the page, with a small circle at the top left and a backward "C" next to the circle. Then he drew a big line around the sides and top of the picture.

"Who is this person, Jordan?" I asked.

"Nana!" he said.

"And what is this circle?"

"That's the sun and the moon," he said, pointing to the small circle and the backward C. "And this is the rainbow from Nana's birthday." He pointed to the large rainbow-like line around the sides and top of the picture.

Now all of his pictures include the rainbow as well as the sun and moon. Sometimes he draws more people than just me, but always there is that rainbow, that promise. Children often include what they are thinking about or what's important to them in their art. It's a portal to their inner life. Pay attention!

You can read Saralee Sky's articles on parenting in her online newsletter, Nutsense, on www.babynut.com.